Nov 2, 2012

Number Two!

I'm super excited about furniture re-do number two! Here's what I found at salvation army for $20:


I sanded the whole thing down (mistake! I should have stripped!), so I could do a paint wash. Even with the orbital sander this took forever, and I ended up buying a $75 Dremel just to get in the grooves of the drawers.

Here's what it looked like after the sanding:


I left some dark spots, and even touched a few places with some dark stain before painting. I didn't paint it with primer this time for two reasons: 1. It's bare wood, so there isn't much reason 2. I wanted to make a thin "wash" out of the paint that I bought so the wood grain would show through.

I wanted to do a pretty bright color this time, so I decided on a limey-green latex. I also bought some floetrol. I ended up mixing the two about half and half and painted the entire dresser. I didn't do any after sanding. The paint was so thin that all the details and wood grain showed though wonderfully. I also found some very reasonably priced copper hardware at Lowe's that looks great!

Here's the final piece:



A close up of the hardware:



The Breakdown:


60 grit sand paper for the orbital sander - $19
Floetrol  - $5
Dremel (this really shouldn't count) -  $75
Glidden Satin Latex  -  $25
8 Brainerd Cabinet Pulls @ $1.70  - $14
4 Brainerd Cabinet Knobs @ $1.20  -  $5

Total $143 (minus the dremel, which will obviously be used again $68)

No comments:

Post a Comment